[R] two questions for R beginners

Kingsford Jones kingsfordjones at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 21:41:28 CET 2010

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 8:00 AM, Robert Baer <rbaer at atsu.edu> wrote:
[...]
> The things that led from "frustration" to "independence" was understanding
> the difference between data types like matrix and dataframe and learning
> there were commands to tell what you were working with at any given time.
> Did the data read in as character, numeric, or factor, etc.  Commands
> like: str, class, mode, ls, search, help, help.search, etc can help you
> figure out what you are doing.

Yes!  I think this is really key.  When I started R I had no
programming experience and thought of projects in terms of statistical
procedures and printed output (cut teeth w/ Minitab --> SPSS --> SAS).
 If I wanted to analyze data using R I looked for examples of using an
analysis function of interest (e.g, lm, princomp, rpart...) and did my
best to adapt to my project.  What was of interest was the printed
output rather than understanding the objects that I was passing and
creating. It wasn't until I buckled down and read the (admittedly
quite dry and often dense) materials describing the language that the
sailing became smooth (or at least much more rapid and took me to more
interesting places).  Important resources I recall using were An
Introduction to R (which I avoided for about the first 6mo because of
language I wasn't yet familiar with), r-help archives, man pages, and
particularly the early chapters of MASS and S Programming by V&R.  But
I think the real 'a-ha' moments came by interactively exploring
objects within R.  This was vastly facilitated by the use of str and
indexing tools ([, [[, $, @).

A mantra for R beginners might be "In R we work with objects, and str
reveals their essence" ;-)

Kingsford Jones