[R] Best Hardware & OS For Large Data Sets

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Feb 27 21:03:04 CET 2010

On Feb 27, 2010, at 12:47 PM, J. Daniel wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am acquiring a new computer in order to conduct data analysis.  I
> currently have a 32-bit Vista OS with 3G of RAM and I consistently
> run into
> memory allocation problems.  I will likely be required to run
> Windows 7 on
> the new system, but have flexibility as far as hardware goes.  Can
> people
> recommend the best hardware to minimize memory allocation problems?
> I am
> leaning towards dual core on a 64-bit system with 8G of RAM.  Given
> the
> Windows constraint, is there anything I am missing here?

Perhaps the fact that the stable CRAN version of R for (any) Windows
is 32-bit? It would expand your memory space somewhat but not as much
as you might naively expect.

(There was a recent  announcement that an experimental version of a 64-
bit R was available (even with an installer) and there are vendors who
will supply a 64-bit Windows version for an un-announced price. The
fact that there was not as of January support for binary packages
seems to a bit of a constraint on who would be able to "step up" to
use full 64 bit R capabilities on Win64. I'm guessing from the your
failure to mention potential software constraints that you are not
among that more capable group, as I am also not.)

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2010-January/056301.html
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2010-January/056411.html

--

David Winsemius, MD