[R] scan and skip - without line breaks in the input file

Balzer Susanne susanne.balzer at imr.no
Sat Feb 27 17:47:50 CET 2010

Hei David,

Thanks for your quick response, but unfortunately n and nmax alone don't do the job. If I want to read items no. 100001 to 200000, the n=100000 option will work, but skip=100000 (to NOT read the first 100000 items) won't.

Or with your example,

scan(textConnection('1 2 3 4 5 6 7'), skip=3) will never work, while

scan(textConnection('1 2 3 4 \n 5 \n 6 \n 7'), skip=3) will. But I don't have line breaks in my file.

Is there no way to specify the character for a line break in scan / read.table / etc.?

Kind regards,

Susanne