[R] scan and skip - without line breaks in the input file

Balzer Susanne susanne.balzer at imr.no
Sat Feb 27 17:24:06 CET 2010

Dear all,

I am trying to read in big amounts of data with scan. It's only one variable, numeric values, separated by tabs,.. and it's many of them. So I was thinking that I could use the skip option and read in 100000 values at a time - but skip doesn't work, probably because I don't have line breaks in the txt file. So any value specified for skip makes the scan function jump to the end of the file.

Does anyone have a good idea? I would be extremely grateful.

Kind regards,

Susanne Balzer

Susanne Balzer
PhD Student