[R] reading data from web data sources

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 13:15:00 CET 2010

Try this.  First we read the raw lines into R using grep to remove any
lines containing a character that is not a number or space.  Then we
look for the year lines and repeat them down V1 using cumsum.  Finally
we omit the year lines.

myURL <- "http://climate.arm.ac.uk/calibrated/soil/dsoil100_cal_1910-1919.dat"
raw.lines <- readLines(myURL)
DF <- read.table(textConnection(raw.lines[!grepl("[^
0-9.]",raw.lines)]), fill = TRUE)
DF$V1 <- DF[cumsum(is.na(DF[[2]])), 1]
DF <- na.omit(DF)
head(DF)