[R] Heterogeneous Correlation Matrix with Survey Weights

Christopher T. Moore moor0554 at umn.edu
Thu Feb 25 23:59:45 CET 2010

Hello,

I have a data set containing categorical and ordinal factors, as well as
sampling weights (i.e., survey weights reflecting unequal probabilities of
selection). I want to fit a structural equation model with sem(). I have
run sem() on weighted covariance matrices using advice from John Fox (see
<http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/e5/help/08/12/8773.html> and
<http://blog.lib.umn.edu/moor0554/canoemoore/2009/09/sem_complex_samples_r_update.html>).
However, since I have categorical/ordinal variables, I would like to
compute a weighted heterogeneous correlation matrix with hetcor().

Is there a way to do this in R? I couldn't find any guidance in the r-help
archives or in the polycor help files. Should I truncate the sampling
weights to integers and then populate the data set with redundant
rows/cases so that the number of rows equals the population size
(N>700,000)? Or is there a better way to compute a weighted heterogeneous
correlation matrix?

Thanks,
Chris

--