[R] Sparse KMeans/KDE/Nearest Neighbors?

manyu_aditya abhimanyu.aditya at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 23:00:31 CET 2010

hi,

I have a dataset (the netflix dataset) which is basically ~18k columns and
well variable number of rows but let's assume 25 thousand for now. The
dataset is very sparse. I was wondering how to do kmeans/nearest neighbors
or kernel density estimation on it.

I tired using the spMatrix function in "Matrix" package. I think I'm able to
create the matrix but as soon as I pass it to kmeans functions in package
"stats" it says cannot allocate 3.3Gb. Which is basically 18k * 25K * 8.

There is a sparse kmeans solver by tibshirani but that epxects a regular
dense format matrix so again the issue is the same.

A simple "no" this is not possible answer shall suffice as long as you are
right!!!

tHanks much.