[R] Defective help pages

Peter Danenberg pcd at roxygen.org
Wed Feb 24 21:34:22 CET 2010

I'm trying to diagnose a bizarre problem in which the help files
invoked from R are partially defective. help(), for instance, is
missing the Description, Arguments and See Also sections; as are help
files for other commands (see below).

I've built 2.8.1, 2.10.1 and HEAD with the same results; do I need to
set an environment or configuration variable?

  help                   package:utils                   R Documentation

  Documentation

  Usage:

       help(topic, package = NULL, lib.loc = NULL,
            verbose = getOption("verbose"),
            try.all.packages = getOption("help.try.all.packages"),
            help_type = getOption("help_type"))

  Arguments:

  Details:

       The following types of help are available:

          * Plain text help

  Offline help:

  Note: