[R] importing S4 methods using a namespace

Aaron Rendahl arendahl at stat.umn.edu
Tue Feb 23 22:30:39 CET 2010

I want to call summary on a mer object (from lme4) within my package
but I can't seem to get the namespace to import the necessary method.

I've simplified my package to this one function:
---------------------------
ss <- function(m) {
  summary(m)
}
---------------------------

And my namespace file looks like this, where I've attempted to follow
the instructions in "Writing R Extensions"
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-exts.html#Name-spaces-with-S4-classes-and-methods
---------------------------
import(lme4)
importMethodsFrom(lme4, "summary")
export("ss")
---------------------------

But when I call my new function, I get the summary.default method
instead of the mer method.

> m <- lmer(Reaction ~ Days + (Days|Subject), sleepstudy)
> ss(m)
Length  Class   Mode
     1    mer     S4

Thanks,