[R] Fortune candidate! Re: new to R Project

spencerg spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Tue Feb 23 05:50:25 CET 2010

       I have a concern with the sentiment expressed:  When one is new
to a language, it is often not easy to know where to start in the
available documentation.  It's hard to RTFM when one does not know which
FM2R.

       I currently subscribe to email help for three other open source
collaborative projects.  This started with a problem I have not been
able to solve.  I reviewed options I could find, including posting a
question to R-help.  After careful study, I selected one alternative and
tried it.  When I hit a roadblock with that, I tried another.  When that
failed, I tried their help mailing lists.  So far, I have installed
three different software packages and gotten them to do simple things.
My current status reflects the famous line from Thomas Edison:  I know
several things that don't work.  I've been forced to postpone further
work on that project indefinitely.

       Was the question obvious?  The post included, "my goal is using R
i have to connect to the database and i have to generate reports."  We
can quibble with the lack of clarity in the prose;  for many people in
Germany (the poster had a German email address), English is a second
language.  (Gott sei dank dass ich nicht so oft meine Fragen auf Deutsch
stellen muss.)

       It looks to me like the questioner wants to access a standard
database system like MySQL, PostgreSQL or Oracle.  As far as I know,
that's not trivial.  Moreover, it's not easy even to find relevant
documentation.  S-Plus and more recently R have been part of my life not
quite every day for the past seventeen years.  For most of that period,
I avoided databases, because I believed the learning curve would be
steep, and it seemed like one more thing that could distract me from the
most important things I had to do.  Not quite a year ago, I had to work
with a database system.  I learned to use RBloomberg, RODBC, etc.,
enough to do what seemed to be required.  However, at least for me, it
was not easy to decide where to start.

       Best Wishes,
       Spencer Graves