[R] SEM error

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Mon Feb 22 17:14:15 CET 2010

On 20.02.2010 08:51, Dan Edgcumbe wrote:
> I'm trying to do some confirmatory factor analysis on some data. My SEM
> model solves in 22 iterations, but when I try to look at the modification
> indices, using mod.indices, I get the following error message:
>
> Error in solve.default(hessian) :
>    system is computationally singular: reciprocal condition number =
> 4.40283e-18
>
> What does this mean?

That the method you apply tries to invert some object called "hessian"
(maybe a hessian? ;-)) but fails since a singular matrix cannot be
inverted. Perhaps (as I often found for people doing sem analyses) you
have less observations than parameters to estimate or only certain
combinations for some factors?

Uwe Ligges