[R] R on 64-Bit…

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 23:59:31 CET 2010

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Axel Urbiz <axel.urbiz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear R users,
>
> I know this issue came up in the list several times.  I’m currently running
> R on 32-bit on Windows and due to memory limitation problems would like to
> move to a 64-bit environment.  I’m exploring my options and would appreciate
> your expertise:
>
> 1)      Windows 64-bit: Prof. Brian Ripley recently posted the experimental
> built of R for win 64-bit. I’ll appreciate any feedback on anyone who has
> been testing this. He also mentioned that for now, “...this as only being of
> interest for those who only use a few relatively simple packages”.  But if
> one uses packages beyond those “relatively simple”, how possible is today to
> have those installed?
>
> 2)      MacOS or Unix.  Sorry for my ignorance on this…but if I use any of
> these environments on 64-bit and  installed R on any of those, this is all I
> need to have R working on 64-bit. How about installing specialized packages?
> Are the packages on the CRAN repositories “ready tho use” on these systems
> or do I have to do any additional work to get them going?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!
>

> Axel.

I can certainly report the R is functional on Gentoo 64-bit Linux. I
wouldn't know how to test whether it's stuck with any form of 32-bit
limitations as my use of R is very remedial, but it's certainly
working.

R is supported in Gentoo portage. R-2.9.2 is marked stable, 2.10.0 and
2.10.1 are marked testing.

If you're not a Linux guy already then Gentoo might not be where you'd
want to start but the R programming language is here, alive and well.

Cheers,
Mark