[R] plot is not keeping the order of variable

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Sun Feb 21 23:42:15 CET 2010

Or Duek wrote:
> Ok,
> It seems that the problem lays in the order (as Ista mentioned),
> But, when I ask R to order it he chooses to order it by size and not by the
> specific order I mentioned when I built the vector.
> Is it possible to tell him to keep the order as mentioned?
> Thank you.

You're still not completely clear about how you built the factor, but I
venture a guess:

Notice that factors tend to get their levels in alphabetical order,
unless special tricks are used.

 > d <- data.frame(f=c("rare", "medium","well-done"))
 > d$f
[1] rare      medium    well-done
Levels: medium rare well-done

To get the cast in order of appearance, this can be used:

 > d$f <- factor(d$f, levels=unique(d$f))
 > d$f
[1] rare      medium    well-done
Levels: rare medium well-done