[R] R 64-bit memory.limit() is max of ?

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Wed Feb 17 17:14:52 CET 2010

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010, S. Few wrote:

> Currently using R 2.92
> Win XP
>

> Goal: scale up computing capacity for large datasets (1-5 million records)
>
> I realize under 32 bit versions of R the memory.limit is maxed at 4GB.
>
> Q:
> 1. What are the limits under 64 bit versions of R? Are those limits OS
> dependent?

I'm not sure exactly, but it is known, and large enough not to currently be a constraint.

> 2. Are there limits to the size of individual objects?”

Individual vectors are still limited to 2^31 entries (?2^32), so a matrix can have only 2 billion elements, a data frame can have only two billion rows and two billion columns, etc.   This is likely to be the binding constraint in the near future, but 2^31 integers is an 8Gb vector and 2^31 doubles is 16Gb.

There will also be some limit on the number of objects. I don't know if we even know what it is, but it will be large.

> 3. Are there limits or problems in using functions such as lm(),
> glm(), rpart(), doBy package, MASS, etc?

I don't think so.  The differences should not be visible at the interpreted level, and packages that are not 64-bit clean in their compiled code will have broken already. Obviously, algorithms that scale slower than linearly in the sample size will get very painful.

      -thomas