[R] RODBC missing values in integer columns

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Wed Feb 17 15:07:13 CET 2010

Rob,

There have been a few reports of issues with the default value of 100 for rows_at_time and I have had issues on OSX connecting to an Oracle server. I have set the value to 1 in the wrapper functions that I have written to obtain data from our server where I call odbcConnect() and sqlQuery(), both of which have this argument.

This issue is referenced in the help for sqlQuery() in the Details section:

Modern drivers should work (and work faster, especially if communicating with a remote machine) with rows_at_time = 100, the usual default, or more. (However, some drivers may mis-fetch multiple rows, in which case set rows_at_time = 1 when creating the connection.) However, if max is specified then this may fetch too many rows and hence it could be reduced (but then this setting applies to all subsequent fetches from that result set). Another circumstance in which you might want to reducerows_at_time is if there are large character columns in the result set: with the default value up to 6Mb of buffer for each such column could be allocated to store intermediate results.

Note that setting rows_at_time to 0 results in it being set to 1 internally in sqlQuery(), since the following code is present in the function:

    rows_at_time <- if (missing(rows_at_time))
        attr(channel, "rows_at_time")
    else max(1, min(1024, rows_at_time))

> max(1, min(1024, 0))
[1] 1