[R] nls.lm & AIC

Katharine Mullen kate at few.vu.nl
Tue Feb 16 23:14:55 CET 2010

I will consider putting methods for AIC and logLik into the next version
of minpack.lm (contributions welcome).

For now, the following should work for logLik, where 'object' is the
return value of nls.lm.

logLik.nls.lm <- function(object, REML = FALSE, ...)
{
    res <- object$fvec
    N <- length(res)
    val <-  -N * (log(2 * pi) + 1 - log(N) + log(sum(res^2)))/2
    ## the formula here corresponds to estimating sigma^2.
    attr(val, "df") <- 1L + length(coef(object))
    attr(val, "nobs") <- attr(val, "nall") <- N
    class(val) <- "logLik"
    val
}