[R] Non-monotonic spline using splinefun(method = "monoH.FC")

Tim Heaton t.heaton at sheffield.ac.uk
Mon Feb 15 19:06:03 CET 2010

Hi,

 Thanks for the reply but I think you are confusing monotonic and
strictly increasing/decreasing. I also just used the y-value of the last
knot as a simple example as that is not the bit where it goes wrong. It
will still produce a non-monotonic spline if you use for example

x <- 1:8
y <- c(-12, -10, 3.5, 4.45, 4.5, 140, 142, 143)

I am pretty sure that it's a bug in the way that the alpha's and beta's
are modified in the code itself which does not guarantee (if there are
two overlapping sections which need their alphas and betas modifying)
that after modification they satisfy the constraints as explained in the
original Fritsch and Carlson paper. The original paper is quite vague
about how to deal with multiple sections which need modifying --- should
one do it in order (in which case one might get a different result if
one entered the data in the opposite direction and moving one knot would
no longer guarantee that the curve changes in only a finite region) or
possibly shrink the coefficients twice (which would create a flatter
spline than necessary but would give a finite effect and the same curve
if the data were entered in the opposite direction).

Tim