[R] Multiple missing values

Patrick Burns pburns at pburns.seanet.com
Sun Feb 14 17:08:24 CET 2010

I can think of a few solutions, none perfect.

* You could have a master dataset that has the
missing value codes you want, and a dataset that
you use which is a copy of it with real NA's in it.

* You could add an attribute that gives the types
of missing values in the various positions.  The
downside is that attributes tend to disappear with
subsetting.

* If you only have two types, you might be able to
get away with using NaN as the second type of NA.