[R] SAS and RODBC

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at Vanderbilt.Edu
Sat Feb 13 14:49:17 CET 2010

Daniel Nordlund wrote:
. . .

> This is just a quick follow-up to my previous post.  Based on Prof. Ripley's response I went back and looked at the SAS log file and reread the RODBC help pages.  The problem of writing a SAS dataset was solved by setting colQuote=NULL in the call to the odbcConnect() function.
>
> ch <- odbcConnect('sasodbc', believeNRows=FALSE, colQuote=NULL)
>
> I hope this will be useful to others who may have the SAS BASE product and want to do graphics or statistical analyses with their SAS data, but can't afford the high licensing fees for the SAS STAT and GRAPH modules.  Thanks to Prof. Ripley for the fine RODBC package.
>
> Dan
>
> Daniel Nordlund
> Bothell, WA USA

Daniel since you have SAS BASE installed why not use sas.get in the
Hmisc package and also get access to metadata such as variable labels
that ODBC does not handle?  Besides providing better documentation, the
labels are very useful as axis labels in plotting, etc.

Frank

--
Frank E Harrell Jr   Professor and Chairman        School of Medicine