[R] Barplot axis titles

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Fri Feb 12 02:35:02 CET 2010

On 02/12/2010 12:03 PM, RagingJim wrote:

> To everyone else, it is going to look like I am talking to myself.

Talking to oneself was once a diagnostic of madness. These days, if
someone does not possess a mobile telephone of the sort that allows the
wearer to stride along talking to an invisible interlocutor while
gesticulating with both hands, he or she is considered at least
eccentric and possibly dangerous.

> Jim, I got your reply (to my post which I changed almost as soon as I posted
> it), and "as.numeric(as.character(kent$Year))" is a god send. Worked a
> charm, and fixed all the problems. So thanks :)
>
> Last issue now (at least for this bit), is that when I use
> "names.arg=axis.ticks" it comes up with this error:
>
> "Error in barplot.default(Ann, main = title, names.arg = axis.ticks) :
>    incorrect number of names"
>
> Does this mean it is trying to fit too many names onto the barplot? and if
> so, how do I reduce it or fix it?

Yep, that's what it means. Leave out the "names.arg" and count the
number of bars or groups of bars and that's how many names you should pass.

> Thanks again mate, really appreciate it!

It is a welcome respite from the shameful self promotion of filling out
job applications.

Jim