[R] expand the inside of command with rep ?

Xu Wang xuwang762 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 21:27:42 CET 2010

Hi,

I would like to be able to repeat a string within a command. I think there
is an easy way but I can not figure out how.

Here is an example.

x<-1:15
I would like to turn this into the following matrix:
xm<-cbind(x,x,x,x,x)

But I would like to do so by having a command that repeats x within the
cbind command. Does that make sense? I have tried various things mainly
involving the commands "rep" and "paste" but cannot get it.

cbind(rep('x',times=5))

I am guessing that this is not good programming etiquette? Something seems
off about it. But still, I would like to know how to do it.

I do understand that I can use a for loop to easily accomplish the desired
output but am looking for a solution similar to the above syntax.

Thank you for any ideas,

Xu Wang