[R] Novel (Maybe?) Visualizations

Johannes Huesing johannes at huesing.name
Wed Feb 10 21:11:20 CET 2010

D. Dashcle <d.daschle at hotmail.com> [Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 01:13:58AM CET]:

> I'm interested in using R's plotting capabilities to try to generate
  a graph showing the relationship/pairing frequency of words
  appearing in a block of unstructured text. I don't have a specific
  algorithm or approach in mind, just looking to portray text in an
  interesting fashion. The output I'm hoping for is something like the
  following called a "Phrase Network":

> http://manyeyes.alphaworks.ibm.com/manyeyes/page/Phrase_Net.html

It looks like you need algorithms to position nodes in order to minimise
edge lengths and overlap. A well known program which does that is
graphviz. I am quite sure that no one has taken the effort to re-implement
the algorithm in R, but there are many R packages that interact with graphviz.

I would look for "graphviz" in www.rseek.org and procede from there.

--
Johannes Hüsing               There is something fascinating about science.
                              One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture