[R] Help Please!

Mike Williams dmikewilliams at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 09:45:29 CET 2010

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 2:47 AM, Nick Manginelli <themang99 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> So I have to use this table of min, max, and mean temps for certain years http://www.stat.berkeley.edu/classes/s133/data/january.tab. I am supposed to figure out which year had the hottest January and which had the coldest. But I dont know how to!
>
> Nick Manginelli

For starters I'd suggest pruning the data with grep, then you can
pretty much eyeball the result.

[mike at localhost lab1]$ grep " 1$" january.txt
45.5    50.67   62.1    2005    1
50.7    55.02   59.5    2006    1
43.9    53.23   65.7    2007    1
42.2    52.16   64.7    2008    1
46.6    51.93   59.9    2009    1
53  57.75   63.4    2010    1

Although you have to decide if you want to use the min, max, or mean
temp to rank the years.  If you use min for coldest its 2008, using
mean it would be 2009.

Also, if you are going to play with this data with R you probably want
to change the headings because it will be confusing, (to you if not to
R) to have column names that match R builtin commands. Maybe use minT
meanT    maxT year    day
I'm sure someone else here can help you with using R.  I'm just
learning R myself and also just about to go to sleep.

Mike