[R] Fast way to determine number of lines in a file

Henrik Bengtsson hb at stat.berkeley.edu
Mon Feb 8 16:21:34 CET 2010

I was looking for a fast line counter as well a while ago and ended up
writing a small function in R:

  countLines() in the R.utils package

At least at the time, it was faster than readLines() [for unknown
reasons].  It is also more memory efficient.  It supports connections.
 I don't think it beats a system call to 'wc', though.  When there
will be a faster solution available, it'll be calling that instead.
It does not avoid reading the file twice.

/Henrik