[R] Reading large files

Vadlamani, Satish {FLNA} SATISH.VADLAMANI at fritolay.com
Sat Feb 6 16:16:54 CET 2010

Jim, Gabor:
Thanks so much for the suggestions where I can use read.csv.sql and embed Perl (or gawk). I just want to mention that I am running on Windows. I am going to read the documentation the filter argument and see if it can take a decent sized Perl script and then use its output as input.

Suppose that I write a Perl script that parses this fwf file and creates a CSV file. Can I embed this within the read.csv.sql call? Or, can it only be a statement or something? If you know the answer, please let me know. Otherwise, I will try a few things and report back the results.

Thanks again.
Saitsh