[R] embedFonts with pdf files and Windows 7

James M. Curran j.curran at auckland.ac.nz
Sat Feb 6 02:59:04 CET 2010

I am trying to embed fonts in my PDF images so that they are embedded
for the publisher of my book.

I am running:

Windows 7 - 64 Enterprise
R 2.10.1
Ghostscript 8.70
Ghostview 4.9
MiKTeX 2.8

I have this tiny test script:

pdf("test.pdf")
plot(matrix(rnorm(200),nc=2))
graphics.off()

myCall = embedFonts("test.pdf",outfile = "test-a.pdf")

which successfully issues this command to ghostscript:

  > myCall
[1] "gswin32c.exe -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -q -dAutoRotatePages=/None
-sDEVICE=pdfwrite
-sOutputFile=C:\\Users\\curran\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\RtmpSkHosh\\Rembed136f65f3
-sFONTPATH=  test.pdf"

The file test.pdf is about 9kb with no fonts embedded. The file
test-a.pdf is about 4kb with no fonts embedded.

I have tried altering the options:

options = "-dEmbedAllFonts=true",

and the font path

fontpath = "C:\\Windows\\Fonts"

To no avail. The only way I can get embedFonts to work is to shift the
work over to our Linux system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.