[R] (Another) Bates fortune?

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Feb 5 21:56:53 CET 2010

Peter Ehlers wrote:
> I vote to 'fortunize' Doug Bates on
>
>  Hierarchical data sets: which software to use?
>
> "The widespread use of spreadsheets or SPSS data sets or SAS data sets
> which encourage the "single table with a gargantuan number of columns,
> most of which are missing data in most cases" approach to organization
> of longitudinal data is regrettable."
>
> http://n4.nabble.com/Hierarchical-data-sets-which-software-to-use-td1458477.html#a1470430

Hmm, well, it's not like "long format" data frames (which I actually
think are more common in connection with SAS's PROC MIXED) are much
better. Those tend to replicate base data unnecessarily - "as if rats
change sex with millisecond resolution". The correct data structure
would be a relational database with multiple levels of tables, but, to
my knowledge, no statistical software, including R, is prepared to deal
with data in that form.