[R] Using coxph with Gompertz-distributed survival data.

Terry Therneau therneau at mayo.edu
Fri Feb 5 17:48:31 CET 2010

Before being helpful let me raise a couple of questions:

  1. "I know I'm looking at longevity data (which is believed to have a
Gompertz distribution for mammals dying from 'old age')".
   I'm not as convinced.  The Gompertz is a nice story, but is
confounded by individual risk or 'frailty'.  But continue

  2. "the mortality rate will be higher for 'a' younger ages, higher for
'b' at older ages, and the assumption of the Cox Proportional Hazards
model is violated a priori, isn't it?"
  That is correct.  So why exactly are you using coxph to fit the data.

  3. "Yet I found plenty of Gompertz parameter values that differ, and
lead to differences in survival times detectable by coxph, yet pass the
cox.zph test. Should I assume that cox.zph is insufficiently
sensitive..."

  The Cox model fit a model with an average hazard ratio over time.  If
the data satisfies the proportional hazards model, then this is all you
need -- this single number tells you everything.  If the data does not,
this does not mean that such an average hazard is invalid, it tells you
that this average is not the whole story and coxph is an
oversimplification.  I view this as similar to the fact that if a
distribution is Gaussian then then (mean, var) is sufficient, everything
that you ever wanted to know about the data (percentiles, outliers, ...)
is summed up in those two values.  If it's not Gaussian it does not
follow that the mean is worthless, but it isn't a complete story.
  If you pick your parameters so that the change in hazard ratio is "not
very large", of course cox.zph will not see it.  That's also the case
where an overall average is probably a pretty good summary.

4: "coxph(Surv(age) ~ group + group:age)"
  This is not how a change in hazard ratio over time is approached.  The
program should give an error.  For one, why do you assume the change is
linear in time?  This is rather rare.  You might look at the timedep
package.

5. Some actual advice -- if you think it is Gompertzian why not fit a
Gompertz distribution?
  I don't see anything in CRAN to directly fit Gompertz, but the note
below talks about how to do so approximately with survreg.  It's a note
to myself of something to add to the survival package documentation, not
yet done, and to my embarassment the file has a time stamp in 1996.  Ah
well.

                Terry Therneau