[R] Reading sas7bdat files directly

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Feb 5 01:06:31 CET 2010

On Feb 4, 2010, at 5:31 PM, Alex Bryant wrote:

> Hi,   I have a need to process (in real-time) a large number
> of .sas7bdat files from within R.  The problem is I don't want to
> convert these files to .xpt (transport) every time.  So just
> checking if anyone has a (viable) way to read .sas7bdat files
> directly into R?

I believe (on the basis of what is written on the NCHS/NHANESwebsite)
that if you are a Windows user, which I am only under duress, you can
get at such data with a free product that SAS makes available:

http://www.sas.com/apps/demosdownloads/sassysview_PROD_8.2_sysdep.jsp?packageID=000176

Whether that product can be called as a system()  executable with
arguments, I have no idea.

--
David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories