[R] How to export the examples in help(something) to a file?

Henrik Bengtsson hb at stat.berkeley.edu
Thu Feb 4 23:34:05 CET 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 9:18 PM, Liaw, Andy <andy_liaw at merck.com> wrote:
> From: Peng Yu
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 10:01 AM, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Some examples in the help page are too long to be copied
>> from screen.
>> > Could somebody let me know some easy way on how to extract
>> the example
>> > to a file so that I can play with them?
>>
>> I forget to mention. I use a terminal version of R.
>
> One possibility is to make a copy of example() to something else, and
> remove the last line where it source() the .Rex file, and modify it to
> suit your need.

Here is a version of that:

readExample <- function(...) {
  exampleL <- utils::example;
  environment(exampleL) <- new.env();
  source <- function(zfile, ...) readLines(zfile);
  exampleL(...);
} # readExample()

> readExample(diff);
 [1] "### Name: diff"
 [2] "### Title: Lagged Differences"
 [3] "### Aliases: diff diff.default diff.POSIXt diff.Date"
 [4] "### Keywords: arith"
 [5] ""
 [6] "### ** Examples"
 [7] ""