[R] ggplot2 / time series with different scales

Dieter Menne dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de
Thu Feb 4 17:22:52 CET 2010

chuckwhite wrote:

> I am trying to plot this dataset using ggplot2:
>
> .. self-contained example removed
>
> How can I plot the price (using geom_point) in a separate plot just above
> the sales plot so that the xaxes match and the yaxes are different.

To quote Hadley Wickham: http://markmail.org/message/xbuecsbudjxkmqkf

"However, what you describe sounds like you want multiple scales on a single
plot - and that's not something that ggplot is likely to ever support"

One alternative would be to use free scales on separate plot. Or even
better, a plot of sales against price? I know, executives and clinic head
have troubles understanding these.

Dieter