[R] 2 dimensional interpolation from matlab to R

spencerg spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Thu Feb 4 16:40:52 CET 2010

      Have you considered the "fda" package and the companion book,
"Functional Data Analysis with R and Matlab" (Springer, 2009) by Ramsay,
Hooker and Graves?  This will NOT help you directly with bathymetry =
f(long, lat), but will help with b=f(x)+e AND with translations between
Matlab and R.

      To fit z=f(x,y), you may want "thin plate splines".  To find R
capability for those, you might install the "sos" package and try the
following (which requires Internet access):

library(sos)
tps <- ???'thin plate splines'
summary(tps) # 38 help pages found in 9 packages
tsp # opens a web browser

      The "sos" package includes a vignette, which is essentially a copy
of an article from the latest issue of The R Journal.

      Hope this helps.
      Spencer