[R] Changing fonts of axis labels in Histogram() function

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Thu Feb 4 13:04:58 CET 2010

conor wilson wrote:
> Dear All
>

> I am using the histogram() function to plot two subsets from my data on the
> same output display, i.e. there are two histogram plots
>

> My code is:
>

> histogram( ~ Age | Date, layout = c(1, 2),
>
>               xlab = "Age (years)",
>
> strip = FALSE, strip.left = TRUE, col = "black",
>
> border = "white", cex.axis = 1.1, family = "serif", cex.lab = 1.1)

Look at the scales() argument in the documentation of xyplot() to change
the cex and other parameters for the axis. E.g.:

     histogram( ~ height | voice.part, data = singer, nint = 17,
               endpoints = c(59.5, 76.5), layout = c(2,4), aspect = 1,
               xlab = "Height (inches)",
               scales = list(cex = 3))

cheers,
Paul

> However, the cex.axis and family = "" has no impact on the type of font
> displayed for the axis labels. I wish to change the font to Times New Roman.
> I also wish to change the ticks inwards and remove colour from the left
> panel. Should I just use the hist() function?
>

> R version is 2.10.0 on windows XP
>

> Thank you
>

> Conor
>

> Conor Wilson