[R] typo in contrast package's vignettes

David Scott d.scott at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Feb 3 22:36:02 CET 2010

hadley wickham wrote:
>> Really? Where exactly is the loophole in 'If the question relates to a
>> contributed package ... try contacting the package maintainer first.'?
>
> How about the general R philosophy that if you dare to mistakenly
> submit a bug report that turns out to be a "feature", not a bug, you
> shall be well and truly chastised?
>
> Hadley

I think you are being a bit provocative here Hadley. Chastisement of
false bug reports occurs with base R functions because it causes
unnecessary work for R-core and also when a bug is reported in a package
as a bug in base R and chastisement is again understandable because it
is incorrect practice.

I think others have come into this debate because they see David has
been responding to Peng Yu's questions quite reasonably considering that
Peng Yu seems unable to do the least bit of self-help. Given the time
Peng Yu has been asking questions he should be able to find his way
around the help system and other documentation by now.

David Scott

David Scott	Department of Statistics
		The University of Auckland, PB 92019
		Auckland 1142,    NEW ZEALAND
Phone: +64 9 923 5055, or +64 9 373 7599 ext 85055
Email:	d.scott at auckland.ac.nz,  Fax: +64 9 373 7018

Director of Consulting, Department of Statistics