[R] offlist Re: typo in contrast package's vignettes

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Feb 3 19:11:29 CET 2010

On Feb 3, 2010, at 10:53 AM, Peng Yu wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 8:41 AM, David Winsemius <dwinsemius at comcast.net
> > wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 3, 2010, at 9:28 AM, Peng Yu wrote:

>>> I'm not clear how my original post violate the posting guide
>>> http://www.r-project.org/posting-guide.html. Would you please be
>>> specific which item I violated?
>>
>> Your use of "violated", not mine.
>>
>> "For questions about functions in standard packages distributed
>> with R (see
>> the FAQ Add-on packages in R), ask questions on R-help.
>
> I asked the questions because I'm not sure if I am a hundred percent
> correct. If I am wrong, then it is not a problem with the package.
> Therefore, it is perfectly OK to ask the question on r-help.

>> If the question relates to a contributed package , e.g., one
>> downloaded from
>> CRAN, try contacting the package maintainer first.  "

You have a "question" and "it relates to a contributed package", so
the premises of the second (and not the first) sentence is satisfied.
The consequent is "contact the maintainer". Logic ... simple clear
logic applied to a declarative English sentence.

Your interpretation is perverse and I assert is completely contrary to
a sensible reading of those two  sentences. Your interpretation is
doubly perverse in that it regards the package documentation which
_only_ the maintainer can adjust. I do not undertand why you are
bothering hundreds of people who can do nothing about your concerns
with these persistently obtuse questions while you are at the same
time resisting contacting the one person who could do something, the
package maintainer.

>> Have you tried contacting the contrast package maintainer?

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories
West Hartford, CT