[R] What are Type II or III contrast? (contrast() in contrast package)

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Feb 3 06:01:20 CET 2010

On Feb 2, 2010, at 11:38 PM, Peng Yu wrote:

> ?contrast in the contrast package gives me the following description.
> However, I have no idea what Type II and III contrasts are. Could
> somebody explain it to me? And what does 'type' mean here?
>
>    *‘type’*: set ‘type="average"’ to average the individual contrasts
>    (e.g., to obtain a Type II or III contrast)

In no particular order:
http://courses.washington.edu/b570/handouts/type3ss.pdf
http://core.ecu.edu/psyc/wuenschk/SAS/SS1234.doc
http://n4.nabble.com/a-kinder-view-of-Type-III-SS-td847282.html

Don't expect any follow-up questions to be answered or further
citations offered. This is really more in the realm of statistics
education than an R specific question.

--

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories