[R] Update problem? Rcmdr disappears, won't re-open

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Wed Feb 3 01:26:28 CET 2010

Dear Brian,

R for Windows FAQ item 2.8
<http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rw-FAQ.html#What_0027s-the-best-
way-to-upgrade_003f> describes how to upgrade R. What you did seems similar
to one of the suggestions there, so I'm not sure why it didn't work. You
might try uninstalling R 2.10.1, removing all of the packages in the
library, reinstalling R 2.10.1, and then installing the Rcmdr and all of its
dependencies via install.packages("Rcmdr", dependencies=TRUE), followed by
reinstalling RcmdrPlugin.IPSUR and whatever else you want. With a fast
Internet connection, that shouldn't take more than, say, a half hour.

One other thing: It appears to me that you're using the development version
of the car package from R-Forge rather than the current version on CRAN.
That won't work at present with the Rcmdr package, though it shouldn't
produce the error that report.

I hope this helps,
 John

On