[R] barplot y axis too short

Jack Siegrist jacksie at eden.rutgers.edu
Tue Feb 2 18:05:36 CET 2010

Thanks for the replies.

Apparently you cannot adjust the extension factor used by yaxs (which is set
at 4%), so what I did is
wrote a function (barplotCovered) to get y-axis limits based on the range of
the data and a user-defined axis expansion factor (axExFact).

I included an example below in case someone else has this problem.

# example data
data <- c(.10, -.15, .52, .11)

# calculate a maximum and minimum for the y-scale:
# takes the biggest datum: max(data)
# then makes a buffer around it: max(data)*1.1
# then rounds that inflated number to one significant digit:
signif(max(data)*1.1, digits=1)
# then takes the max of that or 0 to allow for positive and negative numbers
axExFact <-1.1
ymax <- max(c(0, signif(max(data)*axExFact, digits=1)))
ymin <- min(c(0, signif(min(data)*axExFact, digits=1)))

# here is the plot
barplot(data, ylim=c(ymin, ymax))

# another example
data2 <- c(10, -15, 52, 11)
ymax2 <- max(c(0, signif(max(data2)*1.1, digits=1)))
ymin2 <- min(c(0, signif(min(data2)*1.1, digits=1)))
barplot(data2, ylim=c(ymin2, ymax2))

# here it is as a function
barplotCovered <- function(data, axExFact, ...){
	ymax <- max(c(0, signif(max(data)*axExFact, digits=1)))
	ymin <- min(c(0, signif(min(data)*axExFact, digits=1)))
	barplot(data, ylim=c(ymin, ymax), ...)
	}

# example using the function
barplotCovered(data, axExFact=1.1, names.arg=c("a", "b", "c", "d"))

-----
Jack Siegrist
Graduate Program in Ecology & Evolution, and Department of Ecology,
Evolution, & Natural Resources,
Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ 08901