[R] Loading data from folder [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Augusto.Sanabria at ga.gov.au Augusto.Sanabria at ga.gov.au
Mon Feb 1 04:32:24 CET 2010

Hi Mark,

You can use:
all_files <- dir(pattern="Data")
One_file <- all_files[1]

Is this what you want?

Cheers,

Augusto

Augusto Sanabria. MSc, PhD.
Mathematical Modeller
Risk & Impact Analysis Group
Geospatial & Earth Monitoring Division
Geoscience Australia (www.ga.gov.au)
Cnr. Jerrabomberra Av. & Hindmarsh Dr.
Symonston ACT 2601
Ph. (02) 6249-9155

-----Original Message-----
From: r-help-bounces at r-project.org [mailto:r-help-bounces at r-project.org] On Behalf Of Mark Altaweel
Sent: Monday, 1 February 2010 1:11
To: r-help at r-project.org
Subject: [R] Loading data from folder

Hi,

I am trying to load csv type data from a folder. However, rather than syntax that simply loads one file at a time I was wondering if there is a method that loads all data from a specific folder.

For instance, I have the following data files in a folder nebraskaStats:

10-1-2009_10-7-2009.txt
10-2-2009_10-8-2009.txt
10-3-2009_10-9-2009.txt
....etc. (245 total files in folder)

Each file has the following format:

Data1-5,Data 2-6,Data 3-7,...
1,2,3,...

Although the comma separated format is consistent file to file, the name of the columns differ in many of the files.

What I want to do is simply load all that data by pointing to the folder rather than specific file names.

I know this syntax:   state.frame<-read.table("/nebraskaStats/",
header=T, sep=",") does not seem to read data from a folder but rather it is intended to load specific files. I could write a loop that iterates the number of the files (e.g., N-S-2009_N-T-2009, whereby N,S, and T are iterated in the loop); however, this also seems cumbersome. Anyway, is there a simple method that just loads all the data in a folder rather than have to call out each specific file?

Thanks in advance. This has been a great board and I appreciate all the past help.

Mark