[R] pdf() Export Problem: Circles Interpreted as Fonts from ggplot2 Graphics

Adam Carr adamlcarr at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 30 23:59:52 CET 2010

Good Evening:

I am putting together a large report with plots created in R, V 2.12.0. Most of
the plots are created using ggplot2 V0.8.9. I use R's pdf() command to export
the plot to a pdf file. I am exporting the plots and attempting to edit the
title text in Inkscape primarily because ggplot2 does not support superscript or
subscript formatting in the title text. For the report I am working on these
formats are essential.

I am running the R version mentioned above and Inkscape 0.48 on a Windows XP
machine with the following system details:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11 GenuineIntel ~1995 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date LENOVO 7LETB7WW (2.17 ), 4/25/2008
Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.62 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 8.69 GB

I do not think this is a ggplot2-specific problem.

I use a simple version of the pdf() command to export the file that includes the
file name and path only. The PDF looks fine actually, it is the restriction on
text editing caused by Adobe's intepretation of the graphic that is the problem.

I have attached two files to this email:

1. An R-exported pdf file exactly as it looks as opened in Adobe Reader V9. This
file is named exportforinkscapeforum.pdf.

2. An example of the way the plot appears after I import it into Inkscape. This
file is named Example of How Imported File Appears in Inkscape.pdf.

The problem I have is that when I import the pdf into Inkscape the solid, filled
circles on the plot are converted to the lower case letter q. I read about
similar problems on R-help.org and other R-related sites, but the descriptions I
found seemed to indicate that the lower case q was visible in the pdf file when
opened with Adobe or other viewers. This does not seem to be my problem.

I posted this problem to the Inkscape forum and received a reply suggesting that
Adobe is interpreting the solid, filled circles not as solid, filled circles but
as font objects. The user who replied suggested that I look for the Zpf Dingbat
font embedded in the PDF and it is in fact there. This is the font Adobe is
applying to my solid, filled circles. Apparently there are known issues with
Inkscape's ability to import fonts via PDF and the problem is documented on
their bug list.

The Inkscape user asked if there was any way that R could be coerced to use
actual circles or paths for the points. I am not aware of a way to do this so
any input from anyone here would be greatly appreciated.

To briefly return to my main problem: if there is another way to edit the main
title text to include a superscripted character (in my particular case it is
Unicode character 00AE, the registered trademark sign) I would appreciate the
insight.

Any help on this issue would be appreciated.

Adam