[R] icon for an R package

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Wed Dec 29 21:54:50 CET 2010

On Dec 29, 2010, at 2:08 PM, Michael Friendly wrote:

> On 12/29/2010 1:01 PM, Marc Schwartz wrote:
>> Michael,
>> Are you referring to an icon that would be displayed for an R package when browsing in a file manager, such as Nautilus, Konqueror or Finder?
> Well, my initial query was just for an icon that I could use in a presentation to represent several R packages
> and the relations among them.

I see, so a network tree of sorts....

David's image file did not come thru the list, so I am not sure if that or something similar meets your needs.

Simon has some image icons that he uses in R.app for the OSX GUI. These are available from:

  https://svn.r-project.org/R-packages/trunk/Mac-GUI/images/

>> If so, those icons are typically associated with a file using MIME types and are based upon the file type in question having a unique extension and perhaps being associated with a particular application that is installed.
>>
> You raise the more interesting question of OS-specific icons for R-related file types (.R, .Rd, .RData, .Rnw),
> but the only ones I know of are the .RData icon under Windows, and icons used in eclipse/StatET.

Presumably if a motivated person were to create and offer some under an appropriate and compatible license, they could be made generally available. Of course the actual utilization of them by the various file managers across the OS's in the manner I describe would require additional steps. Either via an install program that would automate the registration of the file types and icons, or via manual configuration.

Regards,

Marc