[R] helps on upgrading R in Mac OS

Berend Hasselman bhh at xs4all.nl
Wed Dec 29 16:14:55 CET 2010

Mao Jianfeng wrote:

> Dear R-helpers,
>
> I intend to upgrade R in Mac OS with updated R version and updated Mac
> OS version.
>
> I think my Mac notebook is produced with Mac x86_64, darwin9.8.0. I
> have updated my Mac OS to  Mac OS X version 10.6.5. But, when I
> installed R 2.12.1, the "version" function still gave me information
> that R is based on old Mac OS. I need to know how can I update R to
> let it to fit for the updated Mac OS.
>
> Could you please give me any direction on that? Thanks in advance.
>
>> version
>                _
> platform       x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0
> arch           x86_64
> os             darwin9.8.0
> system         x86_64, darwin9.8.0
> status
> major          2
> minor          12.1
> year           2010
> month          12
> day            16
> svn rev        53855
> language       R
> version.string R version 2.12.1 (2010-12-16)
>> sessionInfo()
> R version 2.12.1 (2010-12-16)
> Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0/x86_64 (64-bit)
>
> Jian-Feng, Mao

This query belongs to the R-SIG-Mac list.
I don't think you should worry too much.
R is reporting the system it was built under.
The version you are using is for Leopard and higher.
Same as what I'm using on 10.6.5.

As far as I can see you are using the correct version for 10.6.5

See ?version for the "Do not use R.version$os to test the platform the code
is running on...."

Berend