[R] Referring to an object name from within a function

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Dec 29 15:32:19 CET 2010

On Dec 29, 2010, at 9:18 AM, zerfetzen wrote:

> Can anyone show me how to refer to an object name that is passed to a
> function, from within the function?

deparse(substitute(x))

> For example:
>
> MyModel <- 1
>
> test <- function(x) {
>     if(x == 1) {cat("x is a valid object.\n")}
> }
>
> test(x)

Well you don't want to test(x) since x has not been defined. You wnat
to test(MyModel)

MyModel <- 1

test <- function(x) {xname <- deparse(substitute(x))
     if(x == 1) {cat(xname, " is a valid object.\n")}
}

test(MyModel)
#MyModel  is a valid object.

> What I would like this to do is pass MyModel to function test, and
> if it
> passes a test, be able to print "MyModel is a valid object."
>
> Thanks.

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT