[R] modifying user agent strings in http requests

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 27 13:48:28 CET 2010

> From: soumendra at gmail.com
> Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 11:17:49 +0530
> To: r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
> Subject: [R] modifying user agent strings in http requests
>
> Hi all.
>
> How does one change user agent strings in http requests made in R? And
> how do I figure out what my current user agent string looks like?

this was the first google hit on RCurl,

http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/postForm-in-RCurl-and-library-RHTMLForms-td3026742.html

and just skimming it it does seem to have quite a bit of html scraping stuff
( not that you probably care but data "acquistion" has come up here before).
Generally for confirmation, I don't know if Rcurl lets you get as well as set UA,
I just point the request to a local echo socket ( this can be done in any lanaguage,
I think I happen to have one in perl) and have all the headers print in a different
cygwin window.