[R] A question on Statistics

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Sun Dec 26 21:45:53 CET 2010

Maithula:

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Maithula Chandrashekhar
<m.chandrashekhar1977 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am not a pure Statistics background and therefore please forgive me if
> this question (which is not R related either) is too trivial.
>
> In many Statistics literature I find following statement: "restrictions in
> different coefficients matrices have to be imposed to ensure uniqueness of
> the parametrization". Can somebody tell me what is the meaning of Uniqueness
> in the parametrization? Does it mean that, two different coefficient
> matrices may give exactly the same result, and therefore coefficient matrix
> is not unique?
-- yes.

See the section on "contrast matrices" in Venables and Ripley's
"Modern Applied Statistics with S" (MASS) for a concise but, I think,
illuminating explanation. (It's in the chapter on linear
models/regression).

-- Bert

> I find there are many members (perhaps all) in this forum who are really
> masters in Statistics. Therefore I hope somebody will clarify me with the
> intuition behind that.
>
> Thanks,

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics