[R] object names from character strings

Jim Bouldin bouldinjr at gmail.com
Sun Dec 26 10:04:00 CET 2010

I realize this is probably pretty basic but I can't figure it out.

I'm looping through an array, doing various calculations and producing a
resulting data frame in each loop iteration.  I need to give each data
frame a different name.  Although I can easily create a new character
string for writing each frame to an output file, I cannot figure out how
to convert such strings to corresponding object names within the R
workspace itself, so as to give each d.f. a distinct name.  The closest
I got were various attempts with the as.name function, but couldn't get
that to work either.  Any help appreciated.  Thanks.

--
Jim Bouldin, PhD
Research Ecologist