[R] Layout of mulitpage conditioned lattice plots

Dieter Menne dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de
Sun Dec 19 17:23:06 CET 2010

Dear latticists,

I would like to spread a lattice conditioned plot over multiple pages,
keeping the same layout as if I had only one page as shown in the code
below.

My workaround is to divide the dataframe into subset that fit on one page,
but the code is ugly.

Is there a build-in way to achieve this?

Dieter

library(lattice)
nsubj = 13 # This number is variable
dt = expand.grid(time=1:20,comp=LETTERS[1:3],subj=letters[1:nsubj])
dt$val = rnorm(nrow(dt))

#pdf(file="multpageOk.pdf")
# How it should look:
xyplot(val~time|subj+comp, data=dt,type="l",layout=c(10,3),
  subset=as.integer(subj) <= 10)
#dev.off()

# What to do if it stretches over multiple pages, but I want the same
# layout as above?
pdf(file="multpage.pdf")
xyplot(val~time|subj+comp, data=dt,type="l",layout=c(10,3))
dev.off()