[R] lower/upper case question

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Fri Dec 17 22:38:33 CET 2010

Also, gsub() can change the case of part a string --
use perl=TRUE and \\U or \\L (and perhaps \\E) in
the replacement string.  E.g., capitalize color names
with
  > gsub(paste(sep="", "(", paste(colors(),collapse="|"), ")"),
    "\\U\\1",
    "The quick red Fox jumped over the lazy brown Dog",
    perl=TRUE)
  [1] "The quick RED Fox jumped over the lazy BROWN Dog"

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com