[R] Solution to differential equation

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Fri Dec 17 04:37:17 CET 2010

One small correction to my previous email:

k1 and k2 can be any positive, real numbers, except that `k2' cannot be an integer.  This is not a problem, since the integral can be easily obtained when `k2' is an integer.

Before developing the power series approach, I was thinking that it might be possible to use incomplete beta function.   However, the exponents of the two factors in the integrand of the beta function have to be (strictly) greater than -1.  In your integrand, one of the exponents, -k2, can be less than -1, and the other exponent is equal to -1.  Hence, the incomplete beta function would not work, which is why I had to develop the power series approach.

Let me know how this works for you.

Ravi.

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor,