[R] Installing R help files (2.11 or later) when no internet access.

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 18:23:59 CET 2010

On 15/12/2010 9:20 AM, gillian raab wrote:
> We work on a secure stand-alone server with no internet access, for
> security reasons.  We are running Windows XP. SInce version 2.11 the R
> help files point straight to the internet. Is there any way we could
> have a local help that we could access on our server.

The help system is still local, it's not on the Internet.  It uses a
local server.

If you're not allowed to do that, then you can build a static copy of
the help files, but they'll still be HTML format.  On Windows, you need
to build R; instructions are in the Installation and Administration
manual.  You want the make variable BUILD_HTML changed to YES.  Be aware
that this will not generate all help pages correctly; some of them
contain dynamic content.

Duncan Murdoch